Friday, May 28, 2010

23 State Senators Must Be Drunk

I opened up my paper this morning and I was struck by a story that I thought I misread. So I read it again to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating. For many years comedians have made no secret that they favor certain politicians based on comedic value. Well there are 23 Ohio state senators that could be the subject of an entire monologue on Letterman or Leno. If you haven’t heard 23 out of 33 state senators voted to allow concealed carry in bars. I’ve got one thing to say; WHAT THE HELL?

I’ve never made it a secret that I’m not the biggest supporter of hand guns, but come on. I really believe that those 23 Senators must have stopped at the bar before they voted. I agree that gun supporters have some argument concerning their right to bear arms. I have always thought that the argument is extremely weak, because I don’t feel they are reading it correctly.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Another version is found in the copies distributed to the states, and then ratified by them, which had this capitalization and punctuation:[6]

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.


It has always been my belief that this amendment deals specifically with Militia’s not our right to stock pile weapons for our own personal use. I have never had a problem with hunting guns, but who needs a 9mm or an Ak47 for hunting? That is a subject for another day and another Blog.

I can’t even believe that this bill was ever introduced to begin with. In what world is this a good idea? There are communities all over the state of Ohio that won’t even allow the combination of nudity and alcohol. Yet someone saw the wisdom in introducing a bill that would combine guns and alcohol. Why don’t we just get rid of the drunk driving laws also? Better yet, let’s just give everyone government issued guns and a bottle of whiskey and tell them there on their own.

I haven’t even mentioned the fact that police officers will face an all new challenge. Can you image what it’s going be like to go and break up a bar fight now. Now they are going to have to worry whether someone is packing. Let me reiterate by saying this is pure insanity and let me restate my previous statement; WHAT THE HELL?

2 comments:

  1. Kevin I am pro gun and feel that the government should not be able to regulate the number of guns I have and what type of guns I have. But I due think that 'fully automatic' weapons should be closely regulated and not readily available.Because an automatic weapon is a little overkill for shooting Bamby. And in Ohio's Concealed Carry Law there is set forth numerous areas which are classified as "Forbidden Carry Zones" and any Licensed D-liquor Permit premises in which any persons consuming liquor is on the list and under the Ohio Revised Code, I believe it still part of it, about possessing a firearm under disability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to invite you to be my Facebook Friend. There is a good conversation going on about this topic there as well.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1072590475

    ReplyDelete