Sunday, May 9, 2010

Skeletons In The Closet

When I read the story in the Morning Journal about Richard Lucente being chosen to replace Greg Holcomb for the Ward 6 Council seat, it got me to thinking about ‘skeletons in the closet.’ We all have them and Mr Lucente is no exception. Most of the time these skeletons make no difference in how a person performs their job. We have seen politician after politician fall from grace when those secrets are revealed.

Most recently a man that would be President, John Edwards, lost any chance at the job he was seeking, when what he was doing was exposed. What he was caught doing was something that was inexcusable, but when you think about it, would that have affected how he performed his job. I am in no way trying to justify what he did. I am just trying to point out that he probably still would have been a good President.

I think that if a person decides to run for office they would be much further ahead if they exposed their skeletons before they made the decision to run. People seem to respect that in a politician. One example would be former Washington DC mayor Marion Barry. He was arrested on drug charges in 1990, he served 6 months in jail and ran for city council in 1992 and won. He again became Mayor in 1995 and served until 1999. He still serves as councilman in Washington’s 8 Ward.

We all know the story of James Traficant from Youngstown. Traficant spent 9 terms as a congressman in the 17th district until 2002 when he went to prison for obstruction of justice and tax evasion. He spent 7 years until he was released last year. He recently went to work for WTAM radio where he hosts a weekly talk show. He just announced he will be running for his old job as an independent candidate. A recent poll suggested that if the election were held today he would win by a significant margin.

The moral of the story is that we are all flawed, and we have things in our past that we are not proud of. Most of the time we learn from our mistakes and we become stronger because of the trials we have been through. People seem to respect when a person is honest and exposes the mistakes they have made in the past. Most of you know that I have received a lot of press coverage over the last several months and as far as I know all my skeletons are out. So if I decide to run for office I have nothing to hide. If you are wondering what I’m talking about here is a link that will explain it all. Click Here
I would love to hear what you think. It only takes a couple of minutes to sign up as a follower or you can email me at ksalisbury42@hotmail.com or Friend me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment