Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Want You!!! A Call to Action

I have spent several months studying the internet and several other sources about successful downtown revitalization projects. There is an unlimited amount of resources out there to read and study. I dedicated myself to researching downtown revitalization projects because when I came to Lorain I was affected by what I saw. I have lived all over the country and have seen many downtown areas that certainly needed help, but I never felt what I felt when I saw downtown Lorain. The buildings seem to speak to me, and no, I’m not hearing voices. There is a certain something in the downtown area that just screams for help.

What exactly was it that has caused me to fall in love with this city? Is it its close proximity to both Lake Erie and the Black River? What about its racial diversity? Could it be its history? There are so many other attractive attributes about Lorain and I think it is a combination of all of those things.

When I started my research I wanted to find out what the common denominator was for all the successful revitalization's. I looked at all the different plans and studied the similarities. After I read until I thought my eye balls were going to fall out, I came to one conclusion. I learned that I couldn’t do it myself. All of the successful revitalization projects started with a group of people. It was not always a large group of people. In fact it was usually a small group of like minded people getting together every week to make a difference. These groups were always made up of people from all walks of life. They all came from many different economic backgrounds.



I am telling you about this because I want to start just such a group. I need 10 people to start. If you are interested you must be in love with Lorain. You must see the potential and you want to work toward making it better. You can be a business owner or factory worker. You can wealthy or below the poverty line. This group of people will meet once a week and plan to make Lorain better. This group is about action. You must be interested in the group growing. You must want to mobilize a force that will help to rebuild downtown Lorain.
If you feel you meet these qualifications then I want to talk to you. Contact me either at 440-465-4630 or at ksalisbury42@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment