Wednesday, May 12, 2010

In 2010 Racism Still Abounds

From time to time I will step away from the normal subject matter of this Blog to talk about something that is on my mind. I believe that one of the greatest Americans of all time was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr King believed that the way to settle racial issues was for people from different races to sit down at a table and have an honest discussion. I invite you to listen to the words of his, “I Have a Dream Speech.” I guess maybe you have figured out what brings this to my mind. Just in case you haven’t; it’s immigration.



For the past few months I have listened to both sides of the issue very carefully. My normal way of thinking, is that there has to be a happy medium. In this issue, however, there is clearly a wrong and a right. It is my opinion, the way it is being handled in Arizona is the wrong way. Furthermore, it is utterly and totally racist. It is nothing more than racial profiling. I’m sure His Majesty Sheriff Joe Arpaio loves every minute of it. He now has the right to round up anyone that looks Hispanic.

Sadly, there are people that are proposing the same kind of legislation here in Ohio. I had the opportunity to ask the Attorney General of Ohio about this very issue. You can watch the interview in an earlier Blog about the Hispanic Leadership Conference.

The reason I love this country and Lorain County specifically, is its racial diversity. I love being surrounded by different cultures. I have always looked at it as an opportunity to learn. I understand very clearly that there are differences in our cultures, but rather than fight against these difference we need to embrace them. I have never understood why people complain about different languages being spoken. It should be our right as an American to speak whatever language we want. That is what makes us a “Melting Pot.” Why do people get so uncomfortable around a different language?

Immigration has been an issue since the foundation of this country. Benjamin Franklin complained about the Germans. We have always had racial tensions of some sort. In the 60’s it was African Americans who had to stand up for their rights, and nearly 50 years later we are still not equal. In 2010 Latinos/Hispanics are the color of choice, and it’s time for them to stand up for their rights. I can’t believe in this day and age we still have people with an ‘Archie Bunker,’ mentality.
The other argument I hear constantly is; “They are taking our jobs.” That is a load of you know what. The Mexicans are doing the jobs Americans refuse to do. We as a nation are very spoiled. We complain about unemployment but the jobs that are available, no one wants to work. Mexicans are just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. I truly believe if we loaded up all the undocumented residents in this country, our economy would collapse.

You are probably asking, “OK Mr. Smart Guy what is the solution.” Well I’m glad you asked. Of course, I don’t have all the answers, but I do believe that we should legalize everyone that is here now. Then we need to work on a comprehensive humane immigration plan for reform. We need a plan that will make it a little easier to acquire citizenship. I assure you that the citizenship test, most Americans couldn’t pass. Let these folks contribute to society. By the way, the belief that they don’t pay taxes is ridiculous. When they go into a store and buy something they pay the same sales tax we pay; so quit saying that.

It saddens me to say it but in 2010 racism still abounds.

That is my take on the subject of immigration. I would love to hear yours. You can comment below or email me at ksalisbury@hotmail.com or Friend me on Facebook by searching my email in the search engine.

5 comments:

  1. I refuse to be a racist, I chose this course of action when I was in the U.S.Navy, everything my family taught me about people with color, I found, was wrong.
    Today I see what's going on in the news about immigrents, however, we do have laws and steps for immigration, these laws are being ignored, why should I as a citizen have my taxes raised to support people, that if they came into this country, legally, my taxes would not be affected, it's not being racist to disagree with what is going on.
    This is my view on this subject, and would be willing to discuss this in depth with anyone who has an open mind.
    David L. Richard
    Grafton, Oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally disagree with your conclusion about Arizona. If you read the actual legislation there is not mention of any of the racially charged labels that the liberal media is fueling the debate with. It does not change the law very much at all except to say that because the federal government refuses to do anything about the growing epidemic problem that Arizona will have to start enforcing the law by making sure that people are in the state legally with proper documentation and if not they will be sent home. There is nothing racial about it and it is no different in any other country. Try traveling abroad without a passport it is no different here. The debate is an illusion created by the liberal media. Read the legislation yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So who do you think they are going to ask for their papers. Will it be you or me? I don't look Hispanic so I'll never be ask for my papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you get pulled over by the police, do they ask for indentification? Of course they do. If you don't have it, they ask you your name, address, etc...and run your information to see if you have any warrants. If they find out you lied to them, they typically do not let you go until they are satisfied of your identity...because at this point, you tried to deceive them, giving them probable cause you may be up to something not so good.

    Guess what happens when you are here illegally in a border state like AZ and have no proper documentation? If you can't prove your identity, you're inviting further inquiry from law enforcement...including ICE.

    Your issue seems to be that you do not trust law enforcement to carry out this law in a professional manner, yet we trust them in so many other areas where our Constitutional rights could easily be compromised. The vast majority of officers carry out their job professionally and above board. I'm certain that will be the case in AZ.

    As for the "they do the jobs Americans won't do" BS, the reason most Americans won't do those jobs is because the wage is artificially driven down by illegals who are willing to work for little. If employers couldn't hire illegals at such a low wage, they would have to offer a wage high enough to attract a citizen to do the work.

    Penalties on employers of illegals should be harsh. A guest worker program can eventually be implemeted (if needed), but no amnesty and/or quick citizenship. That just encourages more illegals to cross the border and wait for the next amnesty. Perhaps if we get rid of illegals, or even guest workers, doing the "menial" jobs in this country, more employers would be forced to hire Americans at a more livable wage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christopher

    You are partially correct when you say that I don't trust law enforcement to enforce this law. Firstly, look at history. Secondly, I have lived in AZ and am very familiar with Sheriff Joe, who will be the primary enforcer of this new law. He has abused his power for many years and is now being investigated my the Justice Department.
    Concerning jobs; Americans have never done those jobs I'm talking about. At one time they were done by slaves and then they were done by immigrants; the Chinese, Germans, Irish and whatever was the color of choice at the time.
    Furthermore this law will never survive the Supreme Court.

    ReplyDelete