Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Should Pitbulls Be Banned?

I’m going to catch a lot of flak for this one but I have just got to talk about it. A lot of the time when I write these blogs I’m sitting in my store at 737 Broadway Ave. I usually have the scanner on because I like to know what is going on around me. I think it is very important to understand the area you are in, so that you can come up with solutions to fix it. If you have ever listened to a scanner, the police get a lot of different kinds of calls. Some are pretty serious and some are just ridiculous. People call the police sometimes for something that they probably could have fixed themselves. The call that I hear a lot more often is ‘Dog on the loose’ calls and the one that alarms me the most is ‘Pitbull on the loose.’

Let me preface this first by saying, I love animals, especially dogs. I have two of my own. A Miniature Pincher that really belongs to my Fiancé and a black Labradoodle that I named Johnny Cash, which is my dog. I am constantly recommending the Labradoodle hybrid to anyone that asks. Before I bought Johnny I spent a year learning about the breed. I read the pros and cons, and frankly there were almost no cons. He was the easiest dog to house break that I have ever had. He is very eager to learn and please. One of the main reasons I got him is that he is truly a family dog. My Fiancés 2 year old can do anything to Johnny and he never gets mad. They are very much like brothers, and I never have to worry about leaving them alone together.

I believe very strongly that the purpose of a pet is to be a part of the family. Yes they are our protectors when necessary, but we should always be in complete control of our dogs. I don’t understand why people want Pitbulls. Let me reiterate, I love dogs, but a Pitbull is more than a pet, it is a weapon, and a very dangerous one.
A Pitbull was bread specifically to be a fighter. I constantly hear people say, “It’s not the dog it’s the owner.” There is some truth to that but the underlying truth is these dogs are deranged. They are not mentally stable and you never know when they are going to go off. It is like having a time bomb. Every time I hear that a Pitbull is on the loose in Lorain I hold my breath. When I see the pictures of babies lying with these dogs that are a part of the pro Pitbull speech, I always think it is only a matter of time until that dog will turn on the child. They are simply not to be trusted.

Long time superior court judge, Judge Joe Brown is also a dog lover and he calls them “Devil Dogs.” Consider also that most homeowners insurance companies won’t cover you if you own a Pitbull.




I personally think that there should be a law to outlaw them completely. My guess is that that will never happen so there certainly needs to be tougher laws regarding these animals. I wasn’t kidding before when I called them weapons. I believe that a person that chooses to own a Pitbull should have register it as a lethal weapon. They should be required to go through a class that teaches them what a Pitbull can do. Also they should not be allowed to live in certain areas. You may think I am talking crazy but I truly feel it is becoming an epidemic. There is a tremendous responsibility involved in owning a dog, and with a Pitbull the responsibility is even greater. So when you are in the market to purchase a dog please consider the risks in owning a dog that was bread to be viscous. Why not consider a Lab or Golden Retriever or a Labradoodle.


I want to hear what you think. You can reply below or friend me on my Facebook Page. Coming up on Broadway Connection an interview with Carl Neilson of Neilson’s Jewelry and an Interview with former Cleveland Indian left fielder and now co owner of the Lorain County Ironmen, Kevin Rhomberg. Talk to you soon.

4 comments:

  1. Should pit bulls be banned? Probably.

    Should idiot owners be banned? Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Kevin in some ways.. People should never trust any animal with their children because it only takes that one time for something to happen... Are pitbulls viscious?? Sometimes... As far as them being "Devil Dogs", I would disagree. I totally understand that their temporment can be different, but I also have known, German Sheppards, and Cocker Spaniels to be very mean as well.. I feel Pitbulls get alot of bad wrap. When a German Sheppard bits a child its not on the news, but you let a Pit Bull bite a child and its all over the place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your comments on Pitbulls I have owned a Pitbull before of both sexes and to me their the best dog anyone could own the reason I feel that people dont like them is because of their past reps. You also labeled them as a weapon which is true in some cases and false in others..If a pitbull saves a childs life would they be relabeled as protectors or if someone broke into a persons home with a gun and tried to commit a crime or harm to the homeowner and that Pitbull saved them would that change the medias outlook on them? Probably not.Everyone should have the right to own any kind of dog they want as long as they take care of their pet the right way, I shouldnt be punished because my neighbor has a mean dog and doesnt take care of it. Thats just like your car insurance shouldnt go up because you own a blue car and thats the most common color car to be in a auto accident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely they should be regulated! There are too many people that cannot control these powerful dogs! End result? Countless news stories of people/pets being attacked and killed.

    ReplyDelete